Monday, October 3, 2011

Possibly the Most Fun I Have Had...Ever


This past weekend was possibly the most fun time I have ever had, but certainly in a long time. Skip and I went to Purdue to race the collegiate event being held there. Plus there was a Purdue home game that Saturday. Things were bound to get out of control.

I got some good sleep on Friday night, with the exception of waking up once to some drunk people coming into the host house. This was not only expected, but welcomed as I then knew they knew how to have a good time. Saturday’s XC course wasn’t very good; it was bad to be honest. It was completely flat, kind of short, and too technical to really make or lose time unless you made a mistake. It was seriously just 4 miles of hairpin turns. Of course I made a mistake on the first lap and lost my lead after getting the hole shot into the woods. I lost something like 30 seconds and fell back to 3rd. Eric smith from Ripon flatted again but I couldn’t quite catch the leader Josh, so I got a 2nd for the day. I would have liked for things to have gone better, but I think either way Josh, the guy who won, was the strongest.

So we headed back to the host house at the Purdue Cycling club house and cleaned up for the awesome night ahead. While getting some dinner at a local Qdoba, we saw this guy across the street. He was completely messed up, curled up and shaking in his chair. It looked like he was just wrecked from a long morning of drinking or something. His friend was just sitting there eating, and watching him. Take your friend to de-tox dude! Some guy that was sitting by us decided it might be funny to get a picture of him. Thought that was kind of funny, but seriously that guy was in bad shape. Anyways, a crazy night was defiantly on the way.

We started out by tailgating with some friends of the host. Good time, and free food and beer. Got a little buzzed and headed back to the house to start the party off for real. The guys at the house were selling parking spots, so I helped out. I drank while I was doing so, which made it so much fun. Yelling at people, telling them to paaarrrk (parking pirate), and making some money while doing so. We then started just hanging out on the porch yelling at people which turned into cheering for the Badgers. Between skip and I, I think we had everyone cheering for the Badger, and also a little confused as to why. Either way, go Badgers! We also learned that everyone will give you a high five if you say f-Nebraska; Universal truth right there. There was even this one guy, in his late 30, early 40s. He insisted we shotgun some beers. He lost both times, but the second he spilled all of it on his shirt. Anyways, he did the Iggy shuffle and threw his can down, absolutely hilarious. Then we headed inside for some music and beer pong. Skip and I took 4 games in a row until we lost. It took 4 games, two schools, and a sober girl to beat us; and that was a close game. After some more stories and dancing; we headed out to the bars.

We hit up a few bars and had a ton of fun. After the first bar, we headed to another one across the street where things started to get crazy. We eventually found a table after getting a few drinks. We then started talking to these two older guys. I started heckling them and got them all excited. I then convinced them to buy us a pitcher and a few rounds of shot. I was always jealous of how girls could get free drinks. Well, now I know that guys can get them too, in a completely hetero way. After we finished the pitcher and a few Irish car bombs, we went to the dance club. It was a really good time too. The music was insane and the people were going crazy! On a side note: it’s really awesome how house and electronic music is everywhere now. I’ve liked it for quite a long time now and it seems that it is just getting popular. But we danced the night away and then some, and had an amazing time. We finally returned to the house and told a few more stories before hitting the sack. Totally awesome time and I remember all of it too, which is good because I loved every minute of it.

Woke up on Sunday morning: no hang over! I must have danced out all the booze, because besides begin hungry and smelling like the bars, I felt awesome. Must have been the water, I mean light beer. Anyways, the race was fun too. It was an exciting course to watch, and very demanding. I had a good start but my insides were kind of pissed at me from the night before and I just couldn’t hold the pace. I got passed and slotted into 4th. Alder Martz from Marian was able to catch me after a few laps and we battle very hard for the 4th spot. Elbows up the finish hill every time. A little bit of dirty racing, but nothing too bad. I ended up getting him after a few solid attacks and some well-placed passes into technical sections where I had a big advantage. It was good to really have to earn that spot. It was a 4th spot, so nothing too big, but the fact that I earned it made me feel really good. Josh got the win again after some really hard racing up front. That kid will be hard to beat come regionals. The race will be on a course where he has already beaten me once before this year. Hopefully I feel good on the day; because I know that I’ll be in really good shape.

That was the weekend. Now it’s a lot of work to get done in the next few weeks before regionals and finally nationals where I’ll be gone. These next couple of weeks will be important to make sure I keep up in school, train hard, and rest well. Total focus will be important. Having said that, I think I’ll be in Sheboygan for the Wigwam WORS race, I absolutely love the course and the competition will be tougher so I think I’ll get in a better workout. Plus if I race I will move up in the overall a little.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment