Sunday, October 23, 2011

Back in the Groove


The last week has been pretty tough. I’ve had a lot of homework and things to do around the house. Now I don’t like to complain, but things were just piling up and I was having the most difficult time getting them done. In the aftermath of regionals, I was pretty tired. As the days went on I began to realize just how tired. Nothing I did seemed to help. I was getting tons of sleep, eating plenty, recovery riding, you name it I was doing it. But nothing could get me out of the rut I was in both mentally and physically.

After a recovery ride on Monday, I decided to just take it easy, focus on getting homework done and get my head back in the right place. Tuesday and Wednesday were just hard days. I had a tough time getting out of bed even. But I pushed on to at least get my homework done. That was good for me. I got my homework done and actually enjoyed it a little. But having nothing to do on a Thursday night? That was truly special. I completely chilled and went to bed without any worries. Friday was similar, just chilled and got to bed super early. Mentally I just needed a little break.

On Friday I got the cross bike working and headed out to Olin park with some buddies to practice some barriers. It was a good time, but I realized just how out of cross shape I had become. This year I was able to get into really good shape for MTBs, but completely lost all running muscles. Seriously, I couldn’t run, not even a little bit. It was a lot of fun though, and after a few barrier runs I got the feel back for the barriers, almost like I had never left.

Saturday was the annual apple cider ride with the UW club. I have missed this ride every year since freshman year, due to races or other things, but not this year. I skipped the cross race on Saturday to ride out to an apple orchard near devils lake and stuff my face. The morning began much like the week did. I just didn’t feel good at all and couldn’t get my heart going. I was holding the groups pace, but I felt really dead. I suffered for 65 miles to get that apple pie, and man I felt like I really deserved it.

And seriously, that’s what I did. I bought an entire apple pie, no more, no less. It was simply delicious. Sugary and awesome, I ate about half of it before I thought of stopping. I packed it away in my jersey pocket and we headed home. The 45 miles back were less torturous. We rode to a ferry about 5 miles away and rode that across the Wisconsin River. It gave me a shot to stop and really look at the amazing landscape in that part of the state. I wish I had some pictures.

After we got off the ferry, something amazing happened. All that crap and heavy feeling in my legs just started to go away. I don’t know if it was the apples, the fresh air, or the company. But something about that ride was exactly what I needed. That is without a doubt the weirdest feeling I have ever had. I felt way better at the end of that 100+ mile ride than I did at the start. I guess the lesson is that I still need to figure this bike thing out. Just when I thought I had a handle on training, curve ball, but not in a bad way.

So with this new found motivation and legs I raced in the Sun Prairie CX race today. I really like the course they have. It was awesome last year, and the park has some really neat features. I have to say that I didn’t like the course as much this year as last year, but it was still a cool course. It was a tough race though. Brian Matter was there so the pace was quick right off the bat. I knew it was going to hurt, and that is exactly what it did. It was good though. I was able to dig deep, and suffer. That’s always a sign that I’m feeling rested. And I think I ended up 7th or 8th, not bad for the first time on the cross bike this year. Hopefully after MTB nats and a little time off the bike, I’ll be back racing cross like a champ. The big goal this year is MTB nats, but I’d really like to have a solid cross season, or at least what’s left of it.

Skip and I leave next Thursday, early for New Mexico. I'm really excited to be racing and I think I’ve got something to show for all my hard effort this year. I’m shooting for a top 10 in the D1 men’s race. If all goes according to plan, it’s going to hurt, but I will do it. That’s all for now!

2 comments:

  1. Maybe the sugar from the apple pie made it to your legs after the ferry ride? Maybe you're not eating enough to fuel your workouts? And maybe you're just tired from a long season. Hang in there and take a break after MTB nats. Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have a hard time believing it's from me not eating enough, because I eat a lot! Haha, but I'd be interested in understanding my calorie in/out balance. I think it's just the long season. The good news is that I'm less tired than the last time I got burnt out, so I'm moving in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete