Tuesday, September 27, 2011

MTB Nationals fitness preview or accidentally taking an easy week.


In the build up to the Michigan Tech MTB race I was really just focused on school and work, I was super busy, but a little bit of poor planning led me to just being so overloaded. I got most of my work done, but missed one assignment. I need to do better than that in the future. With such an awesome weekend at Chequamegon, I was excited to get back on the trails. After riding recovery on Monday, and some longer intervals on Tuesday, I decided that I had enough on my plate and took an impromptu rest week. With exactly one month until MTB nationals from this next Purdue weekend, I figured that I could take a week off and then hit the training really hard for 3 weeks and then get one week of rest in to feel in top condition. It was also a good opportunity to let my body rest and get an idea how it would react to having some time off.
I rested the rest of the week, and worked like a dog getting HW done and making sure that things were set up for the weekend. We left Friday around 3:30 for Milwaukee to drop off my sister. Another huge thanks for her coming to madison to drop off the car. I know it’s a pain, but I’d like to think she enjoys it, because it’s always fun. We made it up to Houghton and the host house around 12:30 their time. We passed out immediately, we were all pretty tired. Woke up in the morning and there was some dude on the couch with Skip. He was pretty close to cuddling with him, but it took a few minutes to notice him. When we did, the kid ran out the door. That was odd, but hilarious. It still makes me chuckle.
The racing wasn’t too bad, in fact it was awesome. The XC race was on the copper harbor trails which were about an hour’s drive north from Houghton. We got there and watched Sam, my roommate and teammate destroy the C’s field. Then we kitted up and Skip and I lined up for the start. I had a decent start. I had a little trouble hitting my pedals, but was able to keep the power on while I found them. Skip and I went 1-2 into the woods. I think the other riders allowed me to get the hole short. I know that last time that happened I was beat by Eric of Ripon College, but not sure he realized that I also had a mechanical. Either was we still didn’t find out who is faster on a fair playing field because he had 2 flats that day. I’d still like to beat him without the flats, but I need to remember that that’s part of the game. I knew to run my pressure where it needed to be. It also helped I had tubeless too, but I don’t think I bottomed once. I got a small gap which grew to about 2-3 minutes after the first lap and held it there even after 2 hard crashes on lap 3. Final gap ended up around 5 minutes to a quick as hell Mich Tech guy, solid day.
Had a few drinks that night and enjoyed the company of my teammates and the hosts. Got some sleep and got ready for the next day at the short track race. Skipped breakfast that morning, not sure that was the best idea because I was a little hungry during the race. I suppose the better way to describe it is that my stomach wasn’t perfect and I felt flat. Could have been the beers, could have been tired from the day before, could have been the lack of food, or it could have been the junk I was eating that morning cause I was hungry. Either way I was a little flat, but still was fast. I just lacked the aggression and full on power from the day before. Eric got out in from and due to a crash in front of me, he got a small gap. I burned a few matches closing that down, but on the plus side it made it a two man race as third place got really tangled. I chased Eric, but he opened a gap which grew to about 20 seconds by the half-way point. I toned it down to stay out of the complete red and save something for the last few laps, hoping he might blowup completely. He actually ended up crashing and having another mechanical. I was able to hold off the guy behind me, the mich tech guy again and bring home another win.
Despite getting the win in the STXC from a crash, which again I think was partly a tactical mistake on his part for continuing to push the limits, I still feel amazing about the XC result. I was head and shoulders above the rest and was in complete control of the race from start to finish. I know that to have a solid performance at nationals, I need to be dominating the MWCC field. I don’t think I’m there yet, but I’m getting close. Hopefully the next few weeks of training will get me there. I know that I will probably be lacking some firepower in these races, but if I can still compete at a high level while under heavy fatigue, I know that with some rest I’ll be really fast. Arg, that also reminds me I need to start getting money and arrangements together for Nats. Well, if you need me I’ll working on homework or whoring myself out for money to pay for the trip, one of the two for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment