Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Reforestation and Treadfest: the success keeps coming.

The last few weeks have seen me shift gears a little bit from before as the focus has been on training for CX, and racing more locally. Between that, school starting up and work, I've been busy. Sometimes busy is bad, but sometimes it can be a good thing. It's been a mixed bag of rushing around and taking care of business with simply focusing in on training hard. Thats one of the nice things about cyclocross training, the workouts are never very long, so it's all about suffering.

But on some racing! a few weeks ago (i say that with an honest tone, it feels like it's been a month already) was reforestation up near Green Bay. This race is traditionally a good shakedown for Chequamegon, or at least the organizers like to make it out to be. In truth the only thing the two races share in common is that it's near impossible to get bottle feeds in both. The courses are both fast and the distance is similar, but the courses have a different feel. Plus, you can't really have another race like Chequamegon. This year will be my 11th year racing, in a row. I go back every year because it's one of a kind.


Reforestation was my first race back from Mono last year and it was extremely hard. Looking back it might have not been because of the Mono, it's just a tough race, especially on a hard tail 26er. The race starts off with a long section of double track. Cole went for it in classic Cole style and got a big gap right away. Nobody seemed like they wanted to chase. Once it was certain that Cole was away everyone started looking around which is when I went to the front and drilled it. This all happened within the first half a lap. I pushed it hard for a few miles and then settled into rhythm. I was less thinking about Cole and more thinking about keep the group small and making it smaller. As came around for lap 2 I noticed I had a small gap and riders seemed to be looking around. So i gassed it thinking they might let me go. But I was only able to get a small gap and they pulled me back in towards the end of lap 2 and I was out the back as quickly as I was caught. Good news was I was sitting in 6th place with a big gap back and although I was pretty tired i was managing good speed. I rolled in for what I thought was 6th. Turns out Cole had some issues and dropped out, 5th place. I'll take it.

After a good week of training, a solid weekend of all day MTB riding, some rain and another solid week of training, it was back at it in Lake Geneva for Treadfest. I don't think of this course as one of my favorites, at least traditionally. But I think this past weekend changed that. The course was the same, the weather was pretty good, there were maybe a few more people out watching, but really it was the same. This course becomes more fun the faster you ride it, and the more fun you have the faster you go. Definitely one of my favorite courses now, although pretty soon I'll be saying that about every course.

Anyways. It starts with a few climbs right off the bat. a second row start and a quick jump off the line had me sitting in the top 5 up the first climb. I sat up a little bit and allowed things to move around as we made the first descent. On the second climb I had momentum and shot around the right side making a few extra passes. In reality i wasn't attacking, I was blocking. While racing, especially at the start you have to fight for your spot going into the single track. You do so while trying to use as little energy as possible. When I saw out of the corner of my eye that guys were looking to come around me on the right I used my momentum and a few hard pedal strokes to stay in front. But when I looked back I was off the front. I had a good flow on the grassy descent and increased my gap as I began the third climb. looking back I could see that everyone was going hard as was I, but I felt comfortable, I pushed on hoping to get away with a gap but Tristan bridged and shortly after so did Brian. I quickly realized that I was riding better than both of them in the single track. having remembered that these guys never pre-ride (they know the courses so well) I decided to burn it up. I kept it smooth and focused on free speed. I was getting little gaps here and there and they would have to close them up. This was particularly true in the rock garden.

Lap 2 Tristan attacked and I pushed to keep his wheel. Same story was true on lap 3 except I just couldn't quite grab the wheel. the elastic snapped and Brian came around me near the top of the final climb to chase back on. I did my best to hold his wheel but couldn't. From there I was pretty content to keep the pace reasonable and maintain 3rd place. That's my best finish ever, but only by one spot. But what this race really showed me was that I can not only be there, I can race too. I can make the top guys take notice.

So now it Chequamegon and I've got an interesting attitude. I would say that a race like Chequamegon doesn't suit me very well. I'm strong but I'm not very well suited for the longer races because I seem to poop out around 90-100 minutes in. But Chequamegon has another dimension. You can sit it and play tactics and that means that like a road race, anyone can win. a well placed attack and smart energy conservation can put someone set for a top 20 finish into the lead group or even battling for a win. I'm not expecting to be the top dog, but if the opportunity is there, I'll be ready to capitalize.

After that it off the China for a UCI MTB race... Oh the places you'll go.


No comments:

Post a Comment