Monday, September 9, 2013

Packing

Whether is a long or short trip, if you're racing bikes you're packing a bag and gear. This is by no means a comprehensive list, but this is what I bring and why.

When I pack I try to go bag by bag. For most trips I'll take 3 bags. My gear bag has all my racing clothes, shoes, helmet, glasses and such. Then I'll have a food bag with all my bottles, gels, Mike's Mix (recovery and drink mix), and if I can fit it a jug of water in case there isn't water at the venue. Finally a third bag for my stuff. toiletries, regular clothes, and any books, homework and computer i might need for work/school.


The gear bag is usually the first to get packed. it has all the things you really need to race. I'll start by getting all the clothes together. This varies from race to race depending on the weather. I always try to pack for what the weather man says plus a little bit colder just in case, especially for cyclocross. Shoes are a big one, as well as the helmet, sunglasses and gloved. I'll also put some other the other little things in this bag. I'll put my checkbook, racing license, HR monitor and Joule GPS, race numbers for WORS, and I usually will have the bare essential spare parts (chain, cables, brake pads). I don't always remember it, but a few towels are good too.

The food bag is basically everything that I need to take care of myself. You could call it the soigneur bag. All the bottles and drink mix. bars and gels. On longer trips I'll bring my rice cooker and use that to make cheap and healthy meals, but it doesn't fit in the bag. I'll strap my yoga mat to and massage oil to the bag for post race or post ride massages and stretching for longer trips as well. Either that or one of those massage stick doodads. Sometimes I'll also bring some candy in this bag too, for after the race.

Finally the third bag is the normal person bag. for short trips this bag usually gets left behind, but when you're gone for a few days or more, you'll need a change of clothes and I'll probably have homework to do as well. A lot of the times this bag will go with me in the car, so it will have those types of things as well like headphones, snacks, and any papers i might need handy.

Everyone will have their own routine here, but i think the real value in this post is in realizing that when you look at packing as part of the race you see that it can be a source of stress. For me, using the same bags every time and organizing them by category helps me pack faster and with less stress because often I'm packing as I'm waiting for my ride to come pick me up. Some people make a list for packing, but for me I look at the main pocket on my gear bag and I know what it should have in it. On top of that, I keep certain things in the bag at all times such as spare parts and other little things I only use for racing.

So hopefully if nothing else this post will help you realize that your race routine is more than what you do Sunday morning. It's the whole build up and anything you can do to keep it familiar, stress free and keep your focus is going to help you go that little bit faster when the gun goes off.

No comments:

Post a Comment