Wednesday, September 25, 2013

China, China, China!

So after riding the course Friday I was feeling pretty good about the race Saturday and Sunday. Somehow the legs were good and I was pretty relaxed about everything. It really helped having everything taken care of. No worried, no wasted energy. But the unknown side was the competition. More than a few of the riders were their national champ and there was a lot of European talent there as well. But overall I was staying calm knowing that I was there for the experience and any good results were a bonus.

Saturday morning we had a chance to ride the XCO course again and I did so trying to make sure I had lines dialed in. There were a few jump lines that I was hoping to get figured out and I wanted to burn a few matches and string some laps together to see what the altitude might do to me because we were at 1200 meters or about 4000 ft. The altitude didn’t seem to affect me much and I was feeling pretty good but on the third time around I took one of the drops too hard with not enough pressure in my tire and I hit the ground. It was a little blow to my confidence and I decided to stay off the jump lines to play it safe. We went back to the hotel and had lunch.

After lunch we headed back for the Opening ceremony and short track. I was lucky enough to hold the Stars and Stripes for the ceremony, a great honor and something I’ll cherish for a long time. Something about wearing that American flag on my arm and holding the flag that really made me proud to be there for my country. I might not be the best rider in the nation, but I was there representing. After the ceremony it was straight into the short track. I started 6th row and had a great start getting around a ton of people right away. Then when the big pile up happened I did a good job of getting around it by anticipating and dismounting early. It always pays to look ahead and keep your head up. After a few laps I was nearly holding pace with the lead group and making my way to the third group on course. But I could feel my front tire going flat slowly. I knew I would be pulled at some point so I tried to keep the tire from burping and rode really hard on the straights and kept it cool in the technical. But I burped it about 20 minutes in and had to run the last half of that lap. I was pulled and ran in for 37th. That night our interpreter Candy took Cruise and I out to see the city, and we hit up a local Walmart. Classy place.





The short track didn’t go as well as I’d hoped, but it gave me an idea of the competition I would face the next day in the XCO. I knew I was one of the stronger guys and one of the better technically so I had pretty high hopes. A good dinner, some ice cream, good nights sleep and a big breakfast and I was feeling ready. Timing wise I could have done a better job eating. I had a light lunch 2.5 hours before the start. When the gun went off I was feeling a little empty with a full stomach. I kept the pace as high as I could for the time being. I was just off the pace of Payson, another American have a great ride. After a few laps I belched and everything started to look up. I went past Payson who was suffering from a much worse stomach issue and continued to pick guys off here and there. I’m really proud that I stuck through the tough start because I felt amazing after the first 20 minutes. I battled and battled and found that I was riding technically better than those around me but was not able to hold the same pace. So it was full gas on the climbs and then gapping riders as much as I could in the technical sections. With 2 to go I could tell the leaders would be on my tail soon. I pushed it hard but when I found that Fabian Giger was only about 10 seconds back I knew I would be pulled. I made sure to stay out of his way but when he went past I grabbed his wheel and to my surprise I was keeping pace in the technical sections and just couldn’t on the climbs. Felt pretty cool to follow him through a rock garden! When I came around I was pulled. I later found out I made it all the way to 23rd place! I’m looking at other results and trying to put it into perspective but I super pumped up to do so well in such an international field.

China wasn’t all racing, I learned a lot about the culture and the country itself. If you’re ever curious I can give you the long version, but the short version is like this. For all the bad press china gets, it’s mostly the government. The people are amazing and for the most part ignore the government. They grow up with a completely different set of values and belief as a society and it’s amazing how plays out. And most importantly my belief in the power of bicycles has been renewed. I traveled to China trusting the rae organizers and when I arrived I was greeted by amazing hospitality and 150 other athletes from all over the world. We were all friendly because we all knew we loved to ride as much as the next. On that note I have to say how inspired I was by some of the less fortunate riders. I’m so lucky to be riding such awesome equipment and I wouldn’t want to give it up, but its amazing to see what others do on the best bike they can get. For instance one rider from Mongolia that I met who was on an old Trek from the late 90s. He was incredibly strong, but struggled in the technical sections. But it didn’t stop him from giving it all. It’s spectacular to watch someone push human limits on the best equipment but its inspiring to watch someone refuse to let anything stand in their way.
 

The return trip was harder than the way out. A little back issue I had coming out of Chequamegon was flaring up from all the sitting down and trying to sleep on the plane. Riding is somewhat painful but more than anything sleep and sitting tend to hurt. It’s getting better so I hope to race this coming weekend at Cascade, but we’ll make the call in the next couple of days.





Oh, and after the XCO race, I got destroyed in a push contest by Cruise. Probably the most popular the USA tent was all day!

No comments:

Post a Comment