Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Quick Recap: (Alterra, opps) Colectivo Coffee Bean Classic

Time for a quick recap and opinion on WORS #8 in Franklin, WI.


This race can be considered my home race. Although it might be better to call Cam-Rock my home race, I grew up about a 15 minute drive from then Crystal Ridge, now The Rock. I rode there a lot when I was just getting started. And once I had a drivers license, I was there after school as often as I could borrow my parents car. To be honest, it’s been a while since I’ve ridden there, but it still has the feel of a home race. My family and friends always make it out.


This weekend was different, everyone was there. KS Energy Services/Team Wisconsin was there in force. We has three tents set up and something like 10+ people racing. Not to mention we were all over the podium with riders getting top spots in age class and overall. Plus some old friends showed up. My best friend from when I was little was there, Alex. We used to ride as kids and he’d always kick my butt. It was really fun to ride with him again and see him race. The parents were there and even some teammates there just to watch. Pretty awesome.

The race itself went pretty well. I’d be lying if I claimed that I was in top shape. I’m on the back side of a long period of travel and big races and I’m coasting on what I’ve got left. There was a hole shot prime up for grabs, but in a MTB race everyone goes hard anyways so you hope for a good start like always and then if you find yourself in a position to take the money, you’ll dig for it. But I didn’t have the best start and spent the first lap making a few passes and playing catch up. But once that happened, it was all about holding position and trying to follow attacks; I couldn’t. I was struggling to hold 3rd and 4th but when Nate started to catch me we caught the guys in front, possibly because they eased up as well. That big group was a great opportunity to rest and take a great 3rd place, but I just didn’t have it in me. Those last laps were painful.
 
But before I close this out, I want to give my opinion of the “new” course. The majority of it is the same, fast flowy single track and tight turns sprinkled in. But the new section they added in were something of a disappointment. The old course had a very fun downhill that they took out to make a downhill run. They should have included something technically challenging in at least the Pro/Elite race. I had a chance to check some of it out and it would have been really cool to race on and certainly a spectacle. And if I’ve learned anything from racing Pro XCTs and Mont Sainte Anne, WORS racing could use a little more technically challenging courses. We don’t have the natural elements for it, but it’s clear that some of the courses are purpose made to be easy.


But I’m not complaining too much because the races are still well run, the courses are exciting, and people make it one of a kind. I just think it would help improve the young rider development if the races we more challenging.

No comments:

Post a Comment