Monday, August 5, 2013

Full Circle

This past weekend I originally planned to drive out to Vermont and race the final round of the Pro XCT, but when the chips fell, money was tight and I was getting tired of traveling. So I decided it was best to stay in Wisconsin and race the WORS race held at Sunburst instead. I think it was good for me because I’m feeling refreshed and ready for this coming week. But besides a quick recap I’d like to talk about a quick realization I had during Sunday’s race.

The weekend began with a drive out to Sunburst for a pre-ride. The locals had rebuild some of the trails and had a brand new course for the race so I was eager to get out. I have to say straight off that I was sad to see the old one go. I think I’m one of few in that category, but I liked the old course. This is mostly because it was the first race I had ever done. So there were some fond memories out in the north end of the property. But I was skeptical of the course because of that. When I arrived and got in a lap I found it to be a little boring and it lacked flow that made trails really fun to ride. But with all the open sections and the slow paced single track I knew that it would a tactical course. After a few more laps I grew to like the course a little more, but I maintain that they are not very fun trails, but they are great for racing on.

I went home with my dad after the pre-ride to stay with my parents that night as it was much closer than Madison. We stopped by the store and got some food before making a great dinner and enjoying a beautiful night in front of the fire. I woke up the next morning feeling relaxed and that continued for the rest of the day. I got a chance to see my dad race, which is always good because he’s the one who got me into it in the first place. He isn’t the fastest and he makes a lot of excuses for himself, but none of that matters because he always has a smile on his face while he rides.

So I was feeling good and calm as I prepared for my own race. I’ve gotten bottles and food down to a science at this point and the same goes for my warm up and race prep. I rolled to the line ready. A second row call up was nice. I’m not sure if I’m getting them for my PRO license or for what, but it’s nice to at least be second row. The start was fast but everyone was looking around a little bit. Corey ended up moving to the front to string it out a little bit after there was a tangle in one of the first corner. But things stayed tight all the way up the first climb and I was fighting to hold spot. Once we hit the single track things got more orderly and once we made the big ascent up the hill there was a little gap and I was sitting in the top 6 group. From there I made sure to hold good position going down the final descent and this was good. Cole House didn’t know the course so well and I could tell. He made a mistake and got tangled in the trees. I was able to get around and I think there were some more issues farther back because Tristan and I emerged from the woods with a 10 second gap. I closed it up and let him take a pull while I sat on. On the second open section I took the pull and the gap remained. We held it strong all the way to the big switch back climb where Tristan put on the gas and I just couldn’t match it. I began drifting back to the group behind and by then end of lap 2 I was back holding on to Brian’s wheel. We eventually pulled Tristan back and it was 4 at the front with a big gap back to 5th.


Laps 3 and 4 were very tactical but we still kept the pace hard in the single track so we were only opening the gap. During these laps I could hear all the cheers, mostly for Brian and Tristan. It reminded me of when I was little, watching the races and amazed at how cool it all was. It then hit me that I had gone from the little kid cheering on the sidelines to racing with the top riders. It was another one of those moments when my success this year comes into focus.

Lap 5 was a little different. The other guys in the group really went for it and I was clearly not the strong man in the group so I was out the back. But with about 3 minutes back I took it easy enough to keep from making mistakes but hard enough to stay out in front of the chasers. I rolled in for 4th.

I was really happy with the result and it was thanks to all the cheers I was getting from friends. Plus with my parents there my mom was killing the bottle handups. Although she had a kung fu grip on them so I was having the really tug to grab a bottle. But it was perfect. It was another good result made all the sweeter by doing it in front of my parents and friends.

Next up is the world cup for me. Unlike the pro XCTs this year the World Cup is a way bigger race than I’m ready for so I’m treating it as such. I’ll have an open mind and try to learn as much as possible. I’ll ride way over my head and see if I can even finish the race. But as long as I come out of it with more experience and feeling like I’d given it all I had, I’ll be very happy. The whole thing will be broadcast live right on redbull.com and you can also watch the reply on demand from the same link if you miss the race. Saturday at 3pm eastern.



Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment