Sunday, July 7, 2013

WORS and Pro XCT Racing

With all the driving the last few weeks I’ve had a chance to do a lot of thinking, the good kind of thinking. But as the hours in the car add up, and the night falls you wonder why you’re doing this to yourself? Why would I drive thousands of miles just to race my bike? Why would I drive so far just to line up and watch the leaders ride away? Why all that especially when I have the biggest and most well run state series right in my own state?

And let me make this is clear. After traveling to Alabama, Missoula and Windham I can say with some certainty that WORS is run very well. I feel almost spoiled. Every WORS race is run as well or better than a PRO XCT race. The races go off on time, the course is clearly marked, there is support for riders. And there are spectators. WORS is top notch when it comes to organization. And lets not forget the competition. If you look at the USA Cycling ranking, we have 3 of the top 10 Pro racers in the US racing WORS often. And we have another 5 guys in the top 20. That’s huge! So with all this, why do I drive so many miles to race?


To understand the answer you have understand a little bit about my racing thus far. When I started racing for fun it was all about enjoying the trails and having a blast pushing your limits. As I began to take it seriously, the focus became pushing your limits and racing against the best you could. My first WORS race I raced as a Sport rider, way over my head. I then moved back to citizen for a year and did well enough to move back into Sport, then Comp after that. I spent 2 years in Comp as I started college but moved up to Elite in 2011. The idea has always been to race against the best I could.

When you ride against riders that are so much better than you, you learn a lot and you learn it quick. I remember my first year racing elite. I looked up to the likes of Matter and Tristan since I was young. I would watch them race and think it was so cool how fast they were. I was almost; no I was, star struck the first time I toed the line with them. But getting my butt kicked by them for a year made me fast and last year getting a chance to ride with them you learn so much. It’s the way they ride, the lines they pick, the pace and tactics they use. The best way to learn is to ride over your head, jump in and try to swim.

So that is how I got where I am, by riding over my head, pushing myself and racing against the best I can. After a few years of racing in the WORS elite race, I’m racing near the front. I still have a lot to learn, but
I do not have to ride outside my mind every time to stay near the front. That’s why I drive all those miles and spend all that money. If I want to be a professional, I have to always be pushing myself to the edge and the Pro XCT races are the way to do that.

But I do love racing WORS. It’s more than just a good race. The competition is tough for sure, but you’re racing against your friends too. So at the end of the day it’s just a blast. The atmosphere is electric. Everyone is excited to be there. Everyone works, has a family. They are racing to go fast, but they’re not there to make a living, they are there on vacation with their friends. They bring their families and friends; it’s an event every time.

In a few weeks the Pro XCT comes to Wisconsin. For me it’s a clash of these two worlds. I’m very excited to race on a home course against the pros. I’ve been getting my butt kicked these last few weeks. I’m sure I won’t win at Mt. Morris, but I will have the advantage of knowing the course well and not having all that travel. So here is my call to action for you. Come out and show the nation how awesome Wisconsin Mountain biking is! Come out and cheer on your friends and come out and cheer on the local riders in the Pro Races. Volunteer to help out! Bring a friend, if they are a roadie show them how awesome riding trails can be. If they don’t ride bikes show them how much fun a race can be to ride in and watch. WORS is the best state series in the world, lets show it!


The big name pros have said that Wisconsin knows how to hold a bike race, lets blow their minds by making it even bigger and better than before!

No comments:

Post a Comment