Thursday, July 18, 2013

Homecoming Queen

As I described before, the Subaru cup was something of a home coming for me as I’ve been off racing out of state at other pro XCTs in the last month. I was very excited to race with a home town crowd. After racing in Montana and New York and hearing the cheers for the locals I was missing the comfort of home, friends and family. So I got the word out there to make it big and it sure was. But all this is to come, I’ll start from the beginning.

I had a week off from travel to be at home and train a little. It was combined with a little bit of rest to make sure I wasn’t getting burned out. All the traveling, I’m not used to it as much as the more seasoned pros so I had to take my time to recharge. Admittedly I did some partying to celebrate a thus far successful campaign on the road. The first week was 2 tough workouts followed by a long weekend of 6 hours of trail riding and some efforts on the road. I hit the second week feeling tired but knowing the plan I kept pushing. The best part of racing less than 2 hours from home is that Wednesday’s efforts could be done on the course. I was able to get 5 hard race pace laps on course. That was big for me knowing I could go that hard for 5 laps without slowing down much.

It was also cool seeing some friends and racers out there doing the same. The warm embrace of riding with friends and familiar faces is always a good way to cure weeks of travel. I was getting back to the rhythm I’d known the year’s before that I was feeling disconnected from. Don’t get me wrong though. The weekends on the road changed me for the better. My perspective on these races changed from a David and goliath to a more familiar and tranquil isolation from the rest of the race. It went from fear of the big bad races to me finding my spot and my path to the top.

But I seem to have strayed from the point. Running some race laps on course was a rare advantage. And as it turns out something the pros could use. The short term lessons from Wednesday’s efforts were that I was feeling the workouts from the week before but was still focused and eager to race. SO rest and recovery was the focus for the next couple days until Tim and I packed the car mid-day Friday to hit up pre ride. I used the opportunity to get to know the course conditions better and open up with a hot lap and some road riding. When that was all done we headed to Lukas’ house again, who we stayed with in Iola. The dogs even remembered us, sort of. Thanks for letting us stay again!

A good nights rest was easy to get because after the travel and racing, it was just another race. I was sleeping on a somewhat foreign bed and running through the mistakes I made during practice to keep my mind off the race. I fell asleep to music and the sounds of Wisconsin through an open screen door.

Saturday began with a gradual wake up and a good breakfast. That’s the best kind of morning, very relaxed but with a quiet focus on the day’s effort. We packed up and headed off the course which was a short 40 minute drive. We arrived to a packed parking lot and all the bells and whistles going off as races were already going for the lower categories. I took the time to clean my bike and help out Tim with bottle feeds for his Cat 1 race about 2 hours before my race. It was fun hanging out chatting with others and feeding. Good change of pace for me from the not knowing anyone at the race.

Tim’s race went well enough, he was a little disappointed but I think he learned a lot from it which if nothing else is good enough in the grand scheme of things. But then the focus turned to my race. My parents showed up to watch. Between seeing them and talking to so many people and hear all the support, I admit I was feeling the nerves a little bit more than usual. Racing in the big out of state races had me comfortable by myself so readjusting to all the hustle of talking and socializing took a moment. I had to remind myself I was still racing. But the focus, lack of focus, and nervousness went away as soon as I picked my skinsuit out of my bag and started getting ready. I had a second row call up, first of the locals to get the call up.

The race started fast, I’ve had some races lately where I felt taxed at the start and some where I was comfortable. I was definitely feeling the pace as we did the long loop around the parking area. There was some hectic sections as people not knowing the course put on the breaks for the dirt humps. A few people has some misfortune but all in all it was clean. As we turned back onto the main drag towards the start again I glanced down at my legs in pain for a short moment and looked up to find half the field going the wrong way up the clif bar climb and was super confused. But there was no question in my mind which direction was right. So I took the opportunity to hop on Brian Matter’s wheel as we began the climb. I pushed hard here but didn’t have the effort in me to go as hard as I wanted. I lost a few spots up the climb but nothing bad. By the time we got to the top the top guys had realized the mistake and gotten back on. Wells and few others made the pass before the single track. As we crested the hill I settled in for the effort. I dropped my chain 2 times in the single track on the first lap, but kept a cool head and only lost a few spots because of it.

Finishing up lap one I came by my parents and my dad screamed out 16th place. I heard this and it motivated me to no end. I was shooting for a top 15, UCI points and some good cash. I took up a notch and pushed an even harder pace knowing that that is what it would take to race where I wanted to finish. Lap 2 is really where the race began for me. I was pushing it hard and making up a few spots here and there. As the laps ticked down, things ran smoothly. Tim was at tech zone 2 with drink and water keeping me fueled with Mike’s Sport mix and clif gels. I have to say, I’ve really got this aspect down. The crowd pushed me on lap after lap. There was so much support and noise in the fire lane, yee haw and nitro. I began to feel the effort on lap 5. If there was a time when I really needed to crowd, when I was really feeling the pain it was lap 5. And having the local support made the world of difference. Looking at lap times from the race, lap 5 was a little slow, but with a whole state behind you, I got through it. Lap 6 was my third fastest lap, again, when the crowd is there, supporting and cheering the pain just goes away. It’s one of the greatest feelings in the world.

I rolled in for an amazing finish, 13th place. I reached my goal of points, and did so in one of the toughest fields with my home town crowd, friends and family there. With all that pressure and I pulled it through. It’s hard to put into words just how grateful I am for all the cheers and how happy I am to put on a good show and good result for the home town. I finished up the day with pizza with Tim and his girlfriend at the local pizza place. Then it was time for bed, I was completely cooked and fell asleep like a rock right away.

Sunday’s events were more for fun for me. With such a good result Saturday, I was satisfied with my weekend already. This mentality might have beat me as in the short track I just couldn’t push it. I would have to say that my legs were empty because it was impossible to push. The legs were just empty. I suffered hard. This is something I’ll need to work on come CX season ,but for now I’m ok with how things happened. I was pulled with 2 or 3 laps to go and felt a little light headed and sick, but some food helped. The super D went a little better. I had the chance to go in the cat 1 field and still get scored with the pros. I had an ok run, 4th or 5th to my bike but had a good remount and was second into the first sections. After a solid section of single track, I made the pass early in the run to the lead and never looked back finishing about 10 seconds on 2nd place. I just had to hope the run was good enough to place well against the pros. As it turned out it was. 3rd place, some more cash and 2nd place in Wisconsin riders meaning some good series points as well.

At the end of it all, it was an amazing weekend and I think most would agree. For me personally, having the local crowd played a big part in pushing me. I’ve missed a lot of the local WORS races this year and you forget how awesome the crowd is. It’s truly the people that make WORS such a special thing. Thanks to Don and the entire WORS crew for putting on easily the best event of the year. We’ve got something special happening in the Midwest and I’m proud to be a part of it. Thanks as well go out to the team, KS Energy Services/Team Wisconsin. It was good to see some teammates I know from the road mixing it up in the dirt. And of course thanks to Tim for the hand ups and support. Thanks to Trek for putting me on such a fast bike and Bontrager for the gear and Emery’s for making it all run smoothly. Mikes Mix for the drink and recovery mix as well. I’m going to need it for next week!


I get home and drop my bags on the ground knowing full well that in about 36 hours’ time I’ll be picking them up again and heading out to Pennsylvania for nationals. The legs are coming around and I’m on great form right now. All that’s left to do it rest up and take care. The legs will be there, I just need to have the guts to keep asking them to push even when they scream in defiance.





No comments:

Post a Comment