Sunday, October 10, 2010

Cross in Grafton and MTB in Sheboygan, I am beyond Tired

This was an awesome weekend of racing; the heat was really out there. I decided to go home to Milwaukee on Friday night so I could sleep late on Saturday morning. I got up and headed out to Grafton to for the pumpkin cross race at Lime Kiln Park. When I got there I met up with my teammates from Unwin Chiropractic and Wellness, and just chilled for a while before my race. I was racing cat 3, which started at 11:15, so I was lucky the heat wasn’t too bad by then. It was a 45 minute race, but things were really fast. I had a few friends racing, including Matt Yerke from my team, and Neil Swanson, who I know from working at Saris.
Neil started out strong, but I was able to get the hole shot. I went really hard in the beginning so I slowed a little and let the others set the pace. I was having trouble hanging on, but I was still in it. Neil was really putting the hurt on the front for the first 3 or 4 laps, but started to drop back, sounded like chain problems, because he ended up breaking a chain. That guy breaks just about anything and everything. There was a lot of movement in the top 5 for the good part of the race. But with 2 laps to go, I was able to get on the wheel of the leader, with clear trail behind me. This guy I later found out was only 15, but he had some crazy power. A lap and a half left to go he shot off like a bullet from a gun, leaving me in the dust. I followed as best I could, but really went to the edge just to keep within sight. On the last lap, the big hill on the course came up. I had been making time up all race on that hill, as I was just not suffering as much as the other guys on it. I was able to make up most of my time, but still sat in 2nd. Coming into the last half of the course, there was a single barrier, and a set of two. Two guys had been bunny hoping the single all day. Coming into it, one of the guys came around with a bunny hop, and the forth place guy also made a pass on the barrier. I was able to catch those two on the double set, and coming into the last 180 degree turn, dug really deep on the inside, and passed to take 3rd as he went too wide. I sprinted with everything left around a right hander, and ended up in third. I then topped of the day with the best tasting butter burger ever, plus a build your own Sunday.
My teammate Issac ripped up the Cat 1 race, he's an animal!
Then Today was the Wigwam WORS race in Sheboygan. it was a warm one, and with my race at 1:30, I didn’t escape the heat. Lucky for me I had my parents there, so I was getting hand ups all day. I played some good tactics on the start to grab the hole shot sprint, nabbing $20, very nice. I decided to just keep the rhythm going and gave it all I had in an attempt to just get a break. To my delight, I was feeling great, even after Grafton. I rode a hard race, and felt really good, that course is one of the best I have every ridden. I went absolutely as fast as I could, and thought I was going to win overall, even gave a little victory salute at the finish. But a few guys in the wave behind me grabbed 1st and 2nd. So I won my age class, with Tim having a great race only 45 sec off the pace. And topped off with a third overall, should put me in third overall for the series, so I’m stoked. My dad was giving my hand ups all day, and he was really getting into it. It good to see him enjoying the support role, because he usually likes  to race, so I’m glad he had fun, and super glad to have the support. My mom got some sweet picture, I’ll have them soon. Got to say thanks to my folks for supporting me, I love you guys with everything in my heart, thanks for the support.
Badger Prairie cross race next weekend, and a Sunday to myself! Should be a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment