Monday, May 26, 2014

The Trek SuperFly FS is wicked.

The title says is all.

I was lucky enough this year to get hooked up with a new bike and I have to say I felt like I took a little bit of a chance. Personally, coming from a hardtail 26, a 29er full suspension was a big jump. But to summarize, it was the right choice. That bike is miles past what I was on, and even more than that, doesn’t have any of the draw backs I was afraid of.


But first things first, spec.
Frame: 2014 Trek SuperFly FS, 19” in a custom Chi Red through Project 1
Drivetrain: Shimano XT
Brakes: Shimano XTR
Cockpit: Bontrager RXL Alloy Stem and bars with ESI Thin Grips
Saddle/Post: Bontrager RXXXL and Evoke Saddle
Tires: Bontrager XR1 29x2.2 and XR4 29x.2.2 for the mud
Fork: Fox F29 w/Kashima Koat
Shock: Fox Factory CTD with Kashima Koat
Wheels:Bontrager RL for training
PowerTap Speed and Cadence Sensor and Joule GPS

So you can see that it’s a good mix of parts for a solid and light set up. But at it’s heart is the top of the line, masterpiece of a frame, the Trek SuperFly FS. My complaint with any other 29er bike I’ve ridden since they’ve come out is that they are hesitant. You don’t get the sense that they want to turn. But The SuperFly, with it’s shorter chainstays is like an excited puppy! It turns in and thanks you for it. There is grip for days and it inspires so much confidence. On the Elite 9.9, I felt like I was pushing that bike to it’s limits. But on the SuperFly I can feel that it has a lot more speed, and I’m already going faster than I was before. I’m taking it down stuff I couldn’t before and I’m doing technical sections faster than I thought possible with ease. And when you do step past it’s grip, it breaks into a smooth controllable slide. If you’re looking to really push your riding to the next level, go faster, and have more fun doing it then this is the bike for you. Can’t wait to get it out on some real mountains. But it’s track record is already pretty good. It gave me my first WORS win in the first race and is 2 for 2 in the both the men’s and women’s elite races in WORS this year. I don’t think there is much more to say than that.
 
The drivetrain and brakes compliment the bike and make it solid and reliable. I’m a big Shimano fan, smooth shift and confident braking. The Bontrager stem, bars, saddle and seatpost all round it out with soft where I need it, and stiff where it counts, all with minimal weight. Especially happy with the Evoke saddle. I noticed they narrowed up the rear of the saddle, so for those big drops and super gnarly sections, you can get your weight far enough back. This will come in handy when nationals comes around. Finally, I have to say I’ve been impressed with the tires. And I’ve been impressed with them for years. They are light enough, durable enough, they have so much grip, and you can really feel the grip so when they start to let go, you can control the slide for the maximum grip and STEASE! (style and ease).

I truly love riding this bike. It’s not just fast, but it’s so much fun. It really lets me forget about everything and focus on the trail, the wind, the speed and the freedom of whipping through the forest. And that’s really what a mountain bike should do.









No comments:

Post a Comment