Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Mellow Johhny's Kicks off the US Cup Series

This past weekend was the first big race of the year, and also the first race of the year. It came much earlier than I was ready for. The decision to race was somewhat a last minute decision for me when the announcement was made that the overall purse for the US cup was increased to the largest in the world, $80,000. So with that kind of prize on the line, I decided to make the trip. And if I’m being honest, I also was looking for some warm weather.

So I would say I wasn’t completely prepared for this race, probably a big understatement. About a week before I flew in, my legs were just starting to come around and I was back in the groove. Previous to that I had taken some time off to rest and when I got back on the bike I was having to reach and really push it to hit the numbers in the workouts. I was just starting to come back into form and riding well within my zones from last year. So I was feeling excited and happy to be riding strong again. But then towards the end of the week before I made the trip, I started feeling a little sick. I t was just a little cold, so I wasn’t worried. But as the week went, I never really felt better, never felt that bad, but was out of it. And being out of it, I did a pretty horrible job of packing and skipped a few workouts. So things went from hopeful to less than hopeful as I made my preparation and travel out to Austin, Texas.


The luck kept stacking up against me. I arrived in Austin on Wednesday night after a good flight to find that the airline had lost my bike box and I would have to wait until the next day to have a bike. But the airline was able to get my bike to me the next day but not soon enough to get a ride in that day so I borrowed one from JPass, the person who I was staying with. I rode out at some local trails that really did represent the local terrain very well. The bike I borrowed was a 2014 Trek Superfly Hardtail. I have to say, I’m very impressed. It’s a fast, aggressive bike. I like it because it will go where you want it to, without question or hesitation, but is still forgiving and stable on the technical section and in the hard pedaling sections. I’m excited for my full suspension, but after riding that hardtail, I don’t think you can go wrong, hardtail or squishy bike.

On Friday the plan was all about pre-ride the course and prepare for the race. But the bad luck kept on coming. I realized while setting up the bike that I forgot both my pedals and my front axle. I attribute that to a cloudy head from being sick. I started off the day by driving out to the course and hoping on the bike. The course was very rocky. So rocky in fact that I flatted 2 times on my first 2 attempts to complete a lap. I was then able to get 2 complete laps in and really enjoyed the course. Super technical, with a lot secret lines and that is by far what I enjoy the most about off-road racing; using my creativity to find new lines and use the trail in new and interesting ways. But the bad luck hit again when I lost the bike in a rock garden on my last lap and it tumbled end over end down a big rock garden. The result was a broken stem and saddle. Luckily the frame was ok.

That night was all about getting the bike back together. JPass worked at a shop and helped me get the bike working again with a new saddle and a new stem. I made a in the moment decision to switch my stem from a 100mm to a 110mm. And what I realized that night was just how amazing the support that I’ve gotten from so many people. I’ve been lucky to have some major support from KS Energy Services, Emery’s, Trek and MOSH, but also some of the little things from staying with people to encouragement, and parts when I need them. So I have to thank JPass and Ben, who I stayed with, but also to anyone who has helped me in those critical little ways.

So Sunday, Sunday, Sunday! I woke up early and headed to the course. I definitely like to hang out at the venue as much as I can to get into the groove. I was feeling better, had good energy, but I was definitely still a little bit sick. I had a good long warm up and made sure to drink a ton of water. A big topic on everyone’s mind was the heat and hydration. Without anyone to hand up bottles, I knew that it would come down to showing up to the line well hydrated. I drank a gallon of water that morning, and felt good (peed a lot). I had a couple gel shots coming up to the line and had a full bottle of Mike’s Mix sports drink for the race. It was very similar to the feeling I had in Mont Sainte Anne where I was sick. I had a surge of energy before the off.

I lined up 4th row and felt ready to go, but pretty calm. When the gun went off I hit the pedal well, but with so many riders there was a bottle neck at the start and I had to unclip on the first little climb but still felt ok, I was able to push it but lost the front group pretty much right away. For a short time I thought that I wouldn’t feel too sick as I had a strong first lap. But I was wrong as I had a weaker second lap, and by the time I started riding my third lap, I was deal. I had to cut it back and ride within myself for the rest of the race and really thought I was going to be deal last and probably get lapped. But I kept pushing what I had.

When I got done I was completely dusted and tired, but my legs didn’t feel drained, it was more my spirit, as weird if that sounds. I was definitely still sick and it definitely was setting in. But when I checked the results I was placed 35th, I was surprised to see that. I eventually ended up 36th after the protest period. So all in all I was happy with the ride, to feel as bad as I did and to finish where I did, but I was looking for more. I know there is more there and I’m really motivated to get back to the racing and get out to California for the second and third rounds.

Sunday I was hoping to get out and maybe race again but I woke up and just was completely floored. I just couldn’t get up at all and my body was super pissed. I was feeling dead and really sick so I hung out and watched TV all day while I tried to get healthy. Monday I felt much better and was able to get in a workout and some trail riding which was an amazing way to finish out the extended weekend.

So the lessons learned were extensive and hard learned. I need to focus better and pack better. I need to be more organized. I’ve been there and been better, but I need to get back there. My training is going well, but I need to step it up and make it to that next level. Again, I’ve done it before, but I need to get it back in gear. I had a ton of help from my host in Texas, JPass and Ben his roommate on getting the bike going and keeping me going. Without them I wouldn’t have been able to be out there or even race.


That’s all for now, thanks for reading and thanks for all the support!









If you never got a chance to catch the live race coverage, you can catch the recoded version on youtube here. Colt and Georgia provided awesoem commentary and USA Cycling and Sho Air had a good setup with enough camera to bring you the whole story.
Results

No comments:

Post a Comment