Friday, February 14, 2014

Introducing JM Coaching!

http://theaveragejoseph.blogspot.com/p/jm-coaching.html
As I have been diving deeper and deeper into the cycling world throughout the last handful of years I have become completely immersed into the different aspects of the sport, from the technical side to the training side to the social side. I am an engineer by trade, but also have an interest in the physiological side as well. This has lead me to study training techniques and science as a hobby. When I graduated from UW-Madison with my B.S. in Mechanical Engineering just a few short months ago, I had the thought that I could use the “spare time” I had that homework used to take up to help people get faster on their bikes through clinics, advice and word of mouth. Of course the natural outlet for this is to start coaching.

My hope is to help develop younger off-road athletes, to help grow that side of the sport. But my experience and interest is certainly not limited to that side. If you are young or old, off-road or on the road, male or female, I want to help you enjoy your racing more, accomplish your goals, and become a faster better all-around cyclist.


My coaching philosophy is that the most effective training plan can only be written by knowing the athlete as a person. It is important for the coach to know who they are coaching well, and just as important for the athlete to know themselves This is my focus. I understand that while training is a part of it, it isn't the only thing going on in someone's life. So a successful season or event is the product of an effective training plan with the flexibility needed to deal with the curve balls life always throws. Secondly, there is more to training than just rides. Training can take the forms of all types of activity and taking advantage of these different types can help make the most of the time put in, whether that is 10 hours or 30 hours. Core and strength training, cross training in other sports, stretching, and running can all be effective tools in improving a person's performance at an event when incorporated into the overall training plan correctly. Finally, I feel that the mental side of the sport is often ignored. Ignoring this side of a person is the first mistake that leads to not knowing your client, which goes against my first point. But beyond that, I know that a happy person trains harder. I make sure to maintain a focus on pure enjoyment of training, the excitement of reaching goals, and ups and downs that it takes to get there.



What sets my coaching programs apart from others is the holistic approach. Often times, when a person with a job and other responsibilities gets a coach the focus is on using the time most effectively. But this usually leads to a one dimensional coaching program because that limited time is most effectively spent on the bike right? I don’t think that is always the case. The best use of your time is spent improving your weakest attributes, and that isn’t always power. Simply put, I train the whole athlete.


Another big difference that I offer which is different from other coaching services is my breath and depth of experience. I have raced on the road at a high level, I have raced CX on a high level, and I have raced XC MTB at a high level. One better, I still do race in all three disciplines. I offer my clients that knowledge and understanding of how to train for the road, how to train for CX and how to train for MTBs. I can tailor a training plan to off-road racing, and back it up with the experience and knowledge that it actually works.


I am new to coaching, so my coaching experience is limited. I currently am coaching a few athletes, but it has been on a limited and non-monetary basis. I worked with my own coach, Gordy Paulson, for the last 2+ years and have always taken the initiative to learn the methods behind the workouts and have even taken it as far as to help improve his coaching techniques when it comes to training an athlete specifically for off-road competition. So the bulk of my own qualifications comes from being in the athlete’s seat, doing the workouts, training towards, and eventually accomplishing my goals. This is why I know that understanding the athlete is paramount.



But being an athlete doesn’t make you a coach as well. I have studied the methods of periodization, and training plan set up. I use TrainingPeaks and WKO+ to work with and analyze data. In addition to this I also work for Saris Cycling Group on PowerTap, so I know power, I know heart rate, and I know where their advantages and shortcomings are. I am currently in the process of becoming USA Cycling certified as a level 3 coach as well as an IMBA certified skills instructor. Bottom line, I’ve been in the athlete’s shoes, but I have also studied the coaching and training techniques that have gotten me to where I am now as an athlete. And where is that exactly? Check out my rider profile here.


If you are interested in working with me,  I am currently looking to pick up 2 athletes. I am looking for anyone looking to improve their cycling ability and overall fitness. Because I am just in the first stages of my coaching career, I understand that the value of my coaching may be less founded or trusted than a more seasoned coach so this is reflected in my monthly cost. Feel free to visit my coaching page here or look into the details below. If you are interested please do not hesitate to contact me by filling out an athlete interest form:

Athlete Interest Form


Season Athlete - $100 per month, $50 startup fee

Monthly Athlete - $100 per month, no startup fee

Event Specific Training Program - $100 per event

For more details visit my coaching page.

No comments:

Post a Comment