Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Ups and Downs


It’s happened before, and each time it seems worse than the last time. Cycling has a way of bringing you up and down. We all know life has its ups and downs, but it seems that a cyclist’s life is a little more of the ups and a little more of the down. I feel like I’m one of the lucky ones because the ups seem to outnumber the downs, especially in the last month or two.

But here is the most recent iteration. Back at the last WORS race, I had some bad luck. I came in feeling good. The legs were solid, the bike was finally working well, and I was ready to go hard. The course was a blast. I wouldn’t say it suited me perfectly, but they never do. I would describe it as a technically demanding course. While it had some sections that were tough, nothing was crazy. What it did do was demand you full attention every moment of the race. Some courses you can think about other things, like strategy, your legs, the guys around you when you’re in the open sections; but not this course. You had to be on the entire time, using all you muscles, and move the bike around to keep you speed up. It was difficult, but very fun.

I spend the remainder of Saturday night hanging out with some fellow young WORS races, Miles, Ben, and Tim my teammate. We sat around hanging out and talking about everything from training to just life and the people who make it colorful. It was good because it’s the best part of cycling. It’s the stories and the people who make it something special. As a competitive cyclist, I love to push myself. But its important to remember that I ride because of the stories, people and good times. So I have to thank those guys for that.

But the race was a different story. I knew that I was going into it with good legs, and a good chance at a high result.  And it started out well. I had a second row start and despite getting pushed back a little, I was able to make my way up into the front group by the time we reached the first technical single track section.  I was sitting 7th or 8th just off the back of the leading group. I could see the leaders up the road pushing it hard. I was hurting, but I was moving up. I finished out the first lap by getting into the second group on course which consisted of 4th through 8th and I was feel awesome.

But a dropped chain towards the end put me back of the group. I had to push hard to catch back up. But I did it and was still feeling good. Some days you just want it so much you don’t feel the pain. Coming through on the second lap I started to feel a squishy feeling in the rear; flat tire. I stopped and fixed and again caught the second group, but was really feeling the efforts at this point. But I knew if I kept pushing, my top 5 result was in sight and within reach. And then early on laps 3, the tire went low again. It had a slow leak in it. To say at this point I was angry, would be to say MT Everest is a tall hill. I rolled in, checked in for a DNF and just sat down, boiling over.
But it’s nothing that a trip to Olive Garden and a nice chat with Tim on the way home can’t fix. Thanks to Tim for that, I would have done something stupid if not for that chat.

With a surprisingly clear head, I went into the week feeling ready. It was a stressful one with lots of lab reports and 2 tough presentations to give. But I got through it like I always do. With plenty of riding to keep the noggin squarely placed on my shoulders. It was highlighted by a 10 hour drive down to Lindsey Wilson College in Kentucky for the final MWCCC MTB race.

Saturday’s short track was different than the last year. It went up the hill into a small section of single track and then dropped into some BMX turns and flow section before looping around to the finish. It was much better than last year’s grass crit cx race with a hill. With a good start from the second row, I was on the tail of the lead group. I did my best Brian Matter impersonation and waited for the right moment. I sat in as the attacks went and the group morphed. Half way through I decided it was time to put people in the hurt locker and started rattling off hard laps. At this point I knew that a few guys were up in front but not how many. I was just laying down the power and staying consistent. So I didn’t fully understand what happened when I passed Drew, who was as it turns out the lone leader. He dropped his chain which allowed me to slip by and take the win. I was satisfied with the result but it never really hit me because I was so confused as to how it happened.



Sunday’s race was definitely more my style. The race began with a 200 meter long field section before going straight to single track. I made sure to get a good start, but wanted to wait for my time again. I knew people would be looking to me after yesterday’s win. As we entered the single track I sat into second place. What I didn’t realize was that there was a tangle up in that first corner. But as I looked back after the first few corners I saw a gap behind me with Josh Johnson and Drew catching me but looking like they were struggling. I wasn’t hurting so I decided it was a good time to go and make them hurt. I did and I quickly got away. I knew that if I could just stay consistent I’d have my best shot. With the lack of intensity in my training since the injury, I was all about steady consistent effort. And those chasing me were the opposite. I didn’t see another face until middle of lap 2 when Drew started catching me, but only on the technical descents. I clearly had him on the power sections and technical climbs. But never the less, he seemed to slowly claw his way back all the way through the middle of lap 3. When he started getting really close I remember telling myself, “Joe, if you don’t go all in, if you don’t risk blowing up, you can’t win.” Because at that point that was exactly what Drew was doing. I put it down and pulled away, then rolled in for the win about 1 or 2 minutes up for a sweep of the A’s endurance!
Super stocked to do that. I was happy not only because of the good results, but the dominating fashion it happened in. Next weekend is the last MTB race of the season for me with the WORS #12 Wigwam race in Sheboygan. I’m looking forward to killing it and hopefully getting that highly sought after top 5. Wish me luck, turns out I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment