Monday, September 24, 2012

USGP Sun Prairie



Back in March when I looked at my USACycling account and thought about requesting an upgrade from a 2 to a 1 in CX, I thought it was a no brainer. Duh, of course I want to be a 1. If I had known then what I know now, I wonder if it would have been such an easy choice.

The weekend started out with a nice little ride out to the course on Friday to get a couple laps in with Dries, and then help set up the registration area. The course was similar to previous years with many winding corners and a few tough hills including the infamous hill side strangler. I did a few laps and picked up my number before getting a ride home with Jordan (thanks!).

Saturday was an early morning as they changed the format and race schedule so the 2/3 men and women, and cat 4 men all started before 10am. I got a ride over super early, but I was happy to see my friends ripping it up out on the course. I figured they all got yell at me later, so I’d better get them back when I could. But the long day at the race was of concern because it’s easy to forget to eat and drink. I made sure to focus enough to make sure I was primed and ready for the race. I warmed up as usual, making sure to really get a long one in versus a MTB race because the effort was much shorter. I could already tell in the warm-up that I didn’t have the top end I was hoping to have.

The racing was so intense! There is certainly something to be said for it being my first real CX race of the year, but still. The start was fast and aggressive, people bumping bodies all over the place. Every corner was do or die. I know that it can be like this, but again, I’m just not used to it yet I guess. I pushed it so hard to try and stay in the race. Every time I came to the run-up or another section with fans, they were so loud; I would just push it harder. But the top end wasn’t there and I faded back as the race went on. I was suffering, and you could see it on my face. I’m lacking some core and upper body strength and my body was screaming by the end when I was pulled with 2 laps to go. I finished in 39th. It was an early night for an early morning as I passed out pretty much when I got home.

It was a similar story on Sunday. Early start, lots of cheering, and complete focus on the race. I had a better starting spot this time so I was hopeful to get a good start and keep it. I was moderately successful. I was very happy to a head of the tail end of the field though as the riding in the top 30 and 40 was much more respectful as riders weren’t trying to cut you off every corner. I pushed hard to keep my spot, but to top end wasn’t there and I was suffering again. But just like on Saturday, the fans were going crazy and, as Skip would say, fueling my domination (sort of). I was able to stay in the race and finish in 39th again. But don’t get me wrong, I was hugely excited to finish, even if it didn’t look so on my face, I was hurting pretty bad.

And now for some data.
Saturday Laps
1-7:18
2-6:57
3-6:53
4-6:41
5-6:30
6-6:47
7-6:52
8-6:18
Sunday Laps
1-7:18
2-6:23
3-6:11
4-6:23
5-6:23
6-6:35
7-6:37
8-6:37
9-6:35
10-6:51
I looked at lap time and first off, you can really see how much a good start and good start position matters. Looking at lap times, my first lap was the slowest both days. But the lap times were pretty consistent, so I’m happy about that.





Tire choice was a big one too. This is the first year I’ve had the opportunity to run tubulars (big thanks to Challenge) and I’ve learned a lot already. They are extremely sensitive to pressure. I’m talking a psi here or there makes a difference. I ran the Challenge Limus on Saturday and I could tell that they were hooking up like glue in the corners. but they are more of a deep mud tire, so they weren't the best for the conditions. Sunday I ran my grifos and I was blown away. They were notably faster in the straights, but still had the grip in the corners for the dry stuff. Even on the run up, I had the grip to put all the torque into the pedals without worrying about my rear slipping out. Now that’s the kind of confidence that lets you push yourself.

Beyond that, I really do have to thank everyone who was there to support not just me, but all the local riders. There were so many people wishing me good luck and congratulating me on  the race that I couldn’t possibly name them all, but the support was amazing. And like I said, the cheers on the run up were keeping me on the power and in the race. So weather you’re a friend, fan or teammate, thank you for cheering! But a special thank you needs to go out to Dave Eckel, director as KS/TW. Even though he was racing both days himself, he was making sure I had what I needed. And of course it was awesome to see my parents there too. I was feeling the Wisco love!


No comments:

Post a Comment