Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Wausau 24 and a few thoughts

A few weekends ago was my glorious return to off-road racing with the Wausau 24 at nine mile forest up nort. Of course I joke. I was hoping that my return would be incredible, that I would just start crushing it. The road back to form has been longer, tougher and more importantly eye opening. The most eye opening things is the realization of just how in shape I was before. I was wrapped up in the effort and racing to really stop and realize anything, but looking back I now understand. I think I understand now because I’m trying to get back there and it isn’t coming as easy as before.

But of course with off-road racing there is the strength and the skill. The strength will get there as it does with hard work and time. But the skill is something else. The skill takes effort, focus and a critical attitude to improve. Wausau 24 was perfect for his. Each lap was like its own mini race where I could practice my routine on getting ready, make small changes and then go out and see what worked best. I ended up doing 8 laps and by the time I was done, the confidence was back and I definitely think I made some serious gains. Of course those last few laps are like riding with an anchor in your shorts, but I suppose the single track skill plays an even more important part.

It was a long weekend or riding and it make me extremely tired. Not just in the legs, but mentally too. The legs are recovered, as much has they can, but the mind is still tired. Sleep just isn’t’ enough it seems after being on edge for 24 hours plus. But I’m not complaining. Matt Gehling said it best, “I remember why I don’t like 24 hour races, it just took me 12 hours to remember”.

Combine that mammoth effort with watching the Olympics non-stop like a zombie and I’ve been thinking about where all this riding and racing is going. The Olympics have this special aura about them. I saw an interview with Sam Schultz about the Olympics. He makes a good point, that the Olympics is that one race where you mention it, and suddenly everyone cares. Everyone knows what that means. I don't know if I could ever be that fast, but it's always fun to dream.





No comments:

Post a Comment