Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I’m quite tired, but my legs sure aren’t


Let me explain. The weather has been getting nicer and nicer. I’ve been riding a lot, for me at least, in the last few weeks and getting into some good shape and really putting in a solid set of base miles. It’s really been working, because I’ve been feeling motivated, excited, and most importantly like I’m making solid steady progressions in my fitness. Especially in the last couple of weeks, I feel like I’m getting on top of the pedals more and feeling good about the coming year.

To top off that already great news, last weekend was my birthday. I was hoping to say thank you to everyone individually, but it never happened so I guess I can do it here. Thank you to everyone for the birthday wishes. With the weather as nice as it was, I think I would have had to try pretty hard to have a bad birthday. But as it was I couldn’t think of anything that would make it better, save seeing my parents. On Saturday morning we set out for a long ride in a sturdy wind. We started with a big group, but it was split after one of the climbs when there was some confusion as to whether we needed to wait. But I wasn’t paying much attention, my head was down and I was driving on trying to catch the guys that beat me up the climb. I caught them and continued in the wonderfully warm spring air.

I remember feeling such profound happiness when we were cruising along on a plateau. The grass was beginning to change back to green from brown and the air smelled like spring time in Wisconsin (ie cow shit). The late winter clouds began to burn off and unlike just a week ago the views were so much clearer. You could gaze across from one hilltop to the next and see that the weather was just as nice over there. The group ended up splitting again and it was just Skip and myself who brought it home for what turned out to be a long ride. 110 miles, about 6 hours and 26 minutes, and of course over 6,000 calories burned.

I was beat, but not finished. I was happy to feel like although I was tired and worn, I was still awake and felt like I could keep things moving. I made some food and showered, then got read for the evening. The Cycling club was holding a party at our place for my birthday. I’ll be honest, I struggled with how hard I should go in the paint, because there was at least 4 more hours on tap for the next day. At the end of the day, maybe I should have taken it a little bit easier, but that would have been way less fun. Plus I think I might have replenished a solid portion of the calories burned earlier, if thats even possible. But certainly one of the best birthdays I have had in recent memory. Again, thanks to everyone for it!

And that brings me to today. On this fine Tuesday afternoon I sit here at my desk at work. Everyone else has left and it’s after 5. I’m staying late because I need to make up the work I missed while I did my 2 hours to Belleville. I started the day tired, certainly from a lack of sleep over the weekend. Motivation was not too high, but I pushed myself to get out and ride like I told myself I would. Worried I might be over training, I took it easy for the first 10 minutes. But to my surprise, I didn’t want to take it easy. I twisted the throttle and ended up riding tempo the whole time. Something I wasn’t expecting.

And this brings me finally to my point. I am sleepy. I want to sleep and rest and close my eyes. But not my legs, oh not my legs at all. I was yawning on the ride, while pushing 38kph into a head wind. The legs felt rested, but I didn’t. This is really cool, to see my form coming along like this. But beyond this it is really interesting to feel and be aware of these happening with my body.  Now I’m not saying I’m some super human guys, but it reminds me of the short film, “World Record” from the Animatrix series. It really expresses another part of athletics beyond that primitive thrust for competition. It expresses how sport can help you understand the world around you in a different way. Feel free to watch it, and if you have any comments about it, I always love to talk philosophy.


No comments:

Post a Comment