Thursday, December 29, 2011

Still hungry, but more focused

As I mentioned in that last post I can feel that my body is on the brink, and I’m getting tired. The question is when the fall will come. With nationals next weekend, most people are asking will they peak at the right time, and will everything go well. I’m asking myself can I stay motivated and keep the fatigue from taking me down. As of right now, I think I can and I might actually have something special next weekend. I’m feeling pretty good right now, still beat from this past weekend, but the kick is back in the legs.

I had good starts both days from the second row. I hit those SPDs perfect
both times!
Speaking of last weekend let me take you back. It was the inaugural New Year’s Resolution put on by the guys of the Chicago Cross Cup. I’ve never been down to Illinois for a CCC race, but I hear they are fantastic. Let me tell you, if they are anything like last weekend, I might consider making the trip next year. Good course and well organized. I found the course to be interesting, in a similar fashion to the nationals course. While the two seem completely different, I don’t think they are.  But the two days ended up well for me. Saturday I found myself in a long chase for the lead which I couldn’t overcome. I was able to hold on for 2nd. Sunday was looking to be much the same as the same riders more or less came to the front, until something unexpected happened. The pit fencing was blow into the leader and knocked him over. Out of the leading group of 4, I was the only one still on my bike after it happened. I opened it up hard. I knew that this was the opportunity to take it. I gassed it hard and got about 30 seconds ahead. But then the gap came back down as yesterday’s winner began to pull me back in.  on the last lap he caught me as we came through the pits for the first time. Then through the last tough mud section, really the last technical section period, I put a foot down and had to run. I gave it everything I had and was right behind him coming out. But his power proved too much. 2nd again.

I was pretty happy with the placing, but not with the way it happened. I was feeling good, and had it all, but when the time came, I lost focus and made a mistake. A lot of people said that having a pit bike would have helped a lot, and they are right, but even still. I had the win and I lost it. Don’t be fooled, I’m bummed, still confident. But it’s something I need to work on. I had this happen before. I’ve made the right move tactically, or been in the right place, right time and couldn’t come up with the goods. Maybe its fitness, maybe it luck, but I don’t think so. I think its toughness. I think I need to learn to focus less on the pain and the possibility of losing, and more on the win, more on the task at hand.


Making my way up to the lead on the first lap.
I’ll spend this week much like last week though in preparation for nationals. Without any real peak in fitness or anything, I’m just trying to keep things sharp. I’ve been doing 2 days of intensity, but cutting it short, surrounding one day of longer spinning just to get out on the bike. It’s been keeping me sharp without making me tired and putting me over the edge. I’ll be feeling good for next weekend. I’m hoping for something special in the U23 race, and certainly a high finish in collegiate. I’m not wishing, I’m going to make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment