Monday, January 25, 2016

2016, a year of stuff and things.

What does 2016 hold for me? I’ve made it clear that it’s a new year with new focus and new goals. So here’s what I’ve got planned.

The big factor in 2016 is that I’ve started working. I got a job working at the local airport for Alaska Airlines. I’m sure you’ll see plenty about that to come, but what it means for racing is that I’ll probably racing less and training more. So I’ve shifted my focus away from the big long trips to shorter trips and more local racing.

Here are the races

·         NW Epic Series 5/14, 6/11, 7/16, 8/27
·         Dakota 5-0 9/4
·         Chequamegon 9/17
·         Ore 2 Shore 8/13
·         Whiskey off road 4/29-5/1
·         Grand junction off road 5/20-22
·         US Cup Sea Otter 4/16
·         WORS Cup 7/23-724
·         US Cup Missoula 6/8

Sea Otter  and Grand Junction are the big maybes there, but the rest are in the works. The new focus is on longer more endurance based races. I want to shift the focus to something new, and something that will help me step up to the next level or 2. Just as each season starts with base, then speed. I want 2016 to lay the foundation for the good things to come over the next 4-5 years and beyond. I think this means racing longer and harder. If I can learn how to go hard for 2-3 hours or more, 90 minutes should be a cake walk. That’s where the NW Epic series comes in, along with the Whiskey Off-road, Dakota 5-0, and Grand Junction. They lay the foundation for the later races like Ore 2 Shore and Chequamegon.

I’m hoping to win at least one of the NW Epic races and place in the top 3 overall. Knowing who all races, this should be a good challenge, and will pit me against Olympic hopeful Spencer Paxson and the best of the Northwest. These races are anywhere from 50-100 miles off road in the rough Pacific Northwest terrain, often muddy. If that doesn’t toughen me up, its hopeless.

I’m also putting more emphasis on the 2016 Midwest epics like Ore 2 Shore and Chequamegon. On pathway to winning Chequamegon a top 5 is the next big milestone. Out of all the races I do, I’ve got the best understanding of where I fall short at Chequamegon, so I feel that I can use that to hit my weaknesses and find that next level.


If you’re planning on being at any of these races, I’ll see you there!


No comments:

Post a Comment