Tuesday, February 26, 2013

My Last Collegiate Road Season


Last fall I started what would be my last year at this university. These milestones happen and I don’t really stop to think about them until they pass. But the fall was dominated by other things. If it wasn’t injury or sickness, it was class becoming overwhelming. I didn’t get a chance to stop and think about my last Collegiate MTB season. I think it was only a few moments that I stopped to think about it at the last race of the year. I won both races that weekend, so it was good to go out on a high note I suppose. And then of course CX nats came and went. To be honest I think I lived that one how I wanted. I didn’t have the result I hoped for, but no regrets there.

It’s was generally how I try to live my life. Some people go through life trying to capture moments as keepsakes for later. Little mementoes to look at later in life to say they had a good life I suppose. It’s never been my priority. I don’t know exactly what drives me to work hard and persevere, but I think it’s less about experiencing life and more about pushing the boundaries as far as they’ll go. How fast, how smart, how efficient, how light can something be? Sometimes I wish I slowed down more and enjoyed the moment more, but it just isn’t how I operate I guess.

I have some pretty big goals this year, and I’m going to work as hard as I can to make them within my reach. But that’s not what’s on my mind at the moment. This collegiate road season, I want to capture some moments as keepsakes. I only have a little college left, and I don’t want to look back and feel like I didn’t enjoy it. I want to soak in some good times and great friends.

I’ll end this little post with a quick race recap from the first race. We traveled down to Kentucky for the traditional 10 hour drive and the season opener. It was warm, 50 degrees both days. Bare legs and arm warmers both days had my body jumping for joy. I was warm and not on a trainer!

Saturday’s road race was a completely different experience to last time I toed the line with the same group. Then, I was dropped on the first climb. This time we started out going downhill. But in all seriousness, I wasn’t struggling to keep on; I was calm, cool, and ready to put the work in. I struggled on the climbs, but not nearly as much. After some good teamwork and 75 miles, my teammate, roommate, and great friend Skip had taken the race. Alex Martin and I rolled in the chase group. I thought for sure Martin would take me on the climb, but in a throwback to the state RR from a few years back, he cramped hard but still came in 16th.  I managed an 11th place finish. Hell yes.

After a good result Saturday, I was beat. Complete exhaustion is only a partial description because I was lacking motivation as well. But some good food thanks to the club and all the days stories recharged me. After a good night’s sleep, I was feeling much better. I had good feeling in the legs, but was still tired feeling, you could almost say relaxed I guess. The short course crit was always a tough one, but I was ready. After the initial attacks I made a point of getting to the front and got into a solid break away. We worked hard, I probably did too much work, but it paid off in the end as well lapped the field. Once we made contact, Skip opened the throttle and made sure the second group never caught on. With 3 to go I was watching wheels and finding my way to front. It was all in slow motion as we completed 2 laps and with the bell ringing I battled for the fast wheel. Coming into the last corner I lost the wheel and found myself hanging out in the wind. Without hesitation I kept pace with the group and forged on as the sprint opened up. I gave it everything, plain and simple. Just 20 meters before the line I was cut off slightly and had to sit up, but that’s racing. I rolled across 4th in the sprint, and 4th in the race.


Angry face at the line, taken from a video here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2832680112213&set=vb.1715484527&type=2&theater



At the time it was a massive feeling of joy. I felt so happy to finish so well, and to have my teammate there when I needed him made it even better. But looking back on it, I feel something more; Hunger. 4th is great, but I’ve tasted success on the road and I want more.

No comments:

Post a Comment