Thursday, January 17, 2013

The year is over: 3 of 3


So everything was set! I was lined up on the second row right behind Josh Johnson. When the gun went off I hit the pedal perfect and was able to stay calm going into the first corner and through the start pavement. I sat in 3rd spot through the opening field and was in a good position hitting the first climb. I held the leaders wheel though the majority of the first lap, but wasn’t able to stay in contact without killing myself, so I rode my own race and tried to keep them in sight by making smart moves. Drew Dillman, came around me on the second lap followed closely by Rotem Ishay. I was able to hold their wheels a little better. Rotem was riding hard and making some technical mistakes so we battled for a few laps until he got away with 3 to go. I was sitting 5th with a gap back to 6th.



I made the mistake of getting comfortable and not riding hard. Mentally I gave in a little. A few little mistakes here and there didn’t cost me too much, but they began to make a big difference. I had a big crash in one of the faster corners that really changed the race. When Skyler Trujillo caught me on the pavement seeing 2 to go, I was hurting and he seemed in control. He sat on my wheel and I pushed it on to the field opening up a small gap. But when I bobbled near the pits, he came around and I had nothing to answer him with. I was in panic mode and that lead to a few more mistakes. I let myself lose him. I was pretty bummed as I watched 5th place, a spot on the podium ride away. I limped in for a 6th place spot.

But don’t think I wasn’t happy. It a strange place to be in. If you’re in that group for the win, or a top 5 and you screw it up, you’re pretty disappointed. But if you’re in a group for a top 10 and you beat those guys, you’re excited even though you’re finish is worse. So I was disappointed to be moving backwards through the race, but happy with a 6th place finish. Getting beat by 3 of the members of the U23 world’s team and 2 pro MTBers is nothing to be sad about. But the finish wasn’t what I was capable of on that day. I feel I let myself down a little. This interesting combination of emotions has brought me to my current state of mind. I’m content, even happy with where I’m at, but super determined to get better, and achieve my goals. It’s made me look at everything in detail, and start to think about how I can improve. It’s also given me to drive to act on these realizations like never before. I’m not waiting to feel up to it, I seem to be making it happen. I say seem because we’ll see how things go when school starts. But for now things are good.

I have to throw a huge thanks out to the friends, family, teammates, and sponsors who have been there making the past year so enjoyable and possible. Trek Bikes for stepping up again and again with more and more support. Emery’s Third Coast Fitness for becoming more than just a great support bike shop, but a part of the KS Energies team. Not only are they a knowledgeable and experienced shop, but they truly care about the sport. From the recreational rider on the weekends, to the developing racer, they are trying to make riding a bike better for everyone. Of course I can’t leave out KS Energy Services and Dennis Klumb. Massive support is just the beginning of what he does for the team and his community. And Jason Kayzar from MC2 who has not only been a good friend, but doing more and more for the team by stepping up administering the team more in recent times. Chiropractic partners, keeping Madison and the team limber. If that isn’t their slogan, it should be. I proud to wear all of these folks name while racing, because they make it all happen.

Here is to 2013. I hope it is filled with as many good memories and lessons as 2012. Thanks for reading this year. The next few weeks will be full of planning for the coming year, class starting, and hopefully capped off with a announcing my 2013 season!

No comments:

Post a Comment