Saturday, November 24, 2012

Paradigm Shift


After the success at the Cam-Rock race and the Ripon collegiate race the next day, I was pretty tired. At the Ripon race you could tell that everyone went pretty deep the day before. I was tired and when I looked back at the rest of the field, expecting them to pass me, they were looking just as tired. So I took some time off that week to rest, getting in a little bit of training, but focusing on the recovery side of things. Going into to Jingle Cross, I made a point of getting school done, getting my head clear so I could focus on the racing. The legs felt pretty good and my head was clear. I was amped and ready.

The drive down was nice, the conversation ranged from serious to ridiculous. Just as it should be in a car full of cyclist. We arrived in ample time to get ready, check out the course and relax. Friday night was a night race, so as the sun went down I started getting ready for a frozen battle.

From the moment the whistle went off, it was. The field wasn’t too deep so I was able to move through the pack and get a good start, almost too good of a start. I found myself on Brian Matter’s wheel on lap 2 thinking, “should I go around him?” I talked to him after the race and it sounded like he had a bad start and the legs were slow to get going. I eventually came around him and made the move into 5th place. I’d like to stop for a second and say holy crap. At the time it was amazing, but I was focused on holding it. In retrospect, that was pretty awesome. I wasn’t able to hold it, but I still rolled in for 10th place good for 1 UCI point. It wasn’t an exciting finish, but I was happy to be counted amount the best in the world with a point. The legs were not anything amazing and my head wasn’t totally in it. So I knew I had more.
 
I told myself coming into the weekend that if things were just not going my way on Saturday that I didn’t want to burn myself out by going too hard. I thought it smarter to save a little bit for Sunday where the big points were up for grabs. in the end, it turned out alright, but I might have damned myself by taking it easy because when I missed the move for 10th, I sat up and took it easy for 17th place.

After the slightly disappointing finish on Saturday, I spend the night and morning doing everything I could to make sure I was ready and mentally in the game for Sunday. One thing I got wrong Friday going into Saturday was I didn’t drink enough water. I made a point of drinking a tone of water and it made the difference. My legs felt much clearer Sunday. I also put the feet up and did the compression gear along with a good stretch and massage. It did the trick.

I came into Sunday feeling fast and feeling aggressive. I got plenty of practice laps in and a good warm up. Everything was falling into place. When the race started and I moved into about 18th place, I didn’t give up. I was too charged up to take it easy so I battled for position and started moving up. 1 spot there, and another spot here. They added up until I was riding in the 12-15 group. I was in the points. But I didn’t stop there. I kept the pressure on fighting for every point and position I could. It was a fun and tough battle but I was able to best the 2 two riders after 12th place got away. It came down to an attack with 2 to go and then just going into full pain mode to hold onto 13th place. But when I came across the line, there was a little smile on my face.

The weekend was a good learning experience. I had good days and bad days so I can look back and try to understand the differences:
·         Tire Pressure: If you ride tubulars you probably know how sensitive they are to pressure. If you don’t know that, then you’re probably running too high a pressure. I ran too high on Friday and it cost me a few places.

·         Get your head in the game: Do what you have to do, but get focused. Visualizing seemed to help me a lot. Visualize yourself sprinting out of the corners. Focus on putting the power down and working through the progression of each corner. When you’re totally focused, you can give it all.

·         Recovery: Recovery won’t win you a race on day two, but it’s worth a few places and on day 3, its worth a few more. Pull out all the stops, and do all those little goofy things you think help. They might not help, but they are worth it mentally. Don’t stress out about the race, but always be thinking what you need to do next to prepare.

Its hard to say how much all these things helped, but they seemed to be the difference between Saturday and Sunday. An ok day and a great day.So moving forward they will be done before every race, no matter how big or small.



And that leads me to the title of the post. The last few weeks have changed me and how I view racing. I wanted to race professionally since I can remember and it’s been my focus for the last few years now. I’m not saying its going to happen, but I beginning to see the shift. I’m looking for all those little improvements and taking them seriously. I am looking at it like my livelihood depends on it. So hopefully in the next couple of years, it might.

No comments:

Post a Comment