Monday, April 23, 2012

Lessons Learned


It is the last lap of GDVC #2 this past Sunday. I stomp down on the right pedal as the pack begins to sprint coming out of the last corner. I begin breathing heavy as I look up and see a blue figure pulling away 4 wheels up. The lane ahead is full of riders but I can see an inside line open as I hammer down a few more pedal strokes. I can hear the hallow resonation of my wheels as I lean the bike back and forth opening up for the sprint. I begin to accelerate but the noise reminds me how hard I’m pushing the machine beneath me. The ground becomes a complete blur and my vision narrows. I being to close the sizable gap but fully realize that I’m racing for second. All I can see is the line now as my eye sight become completely useless and all that matters is the feeling. It’s a feeling of pure confidence and no weakness. Everything goes completely blank as I cross the line. I can’t explain why I remember this sprint so vividly, but I do.

My last few post have strayed from what I really want this blog to be about. I’m not sure if I’ve ever actually said the point of this blog so here it is. The point of this blog is to keep track of things I learn and to actually remember them. And if someone else can read it and learn something from my mistakes or victories, then it is even more successful. I also enjoy the challenge of writing. As many of you know, I am about as close to illiterate as you can be while still getting into a pretty good university, even if it is for engineering. But I really like writing something beautiful, so hopefully I’ve done that as well.

But now back to the action. I ended up winning the GDVC #2 crit in a pretty exciting sprint where I beat the guy celebrating to early. He realized what happened and when he rolled up to me after the race, we both shared a good laugh as he congratulated me. The race as a whole went pretty well. Our team was pretty focused on getting Tim into a break. I took a firm hold on the pack and chased everything down in the first 15 minutes. I then sat in a little and got ready to start playing games. I threw in some fake attacks, but went a little too hard and ended up getting away. The guy on my wheel wasn’t quite able to pull my pace but still rode strong. We ended up getting pulled back so I rested up again to send Tim off the front. Again, I put another fake attack and got pulled back as planned and Tim went off the front. The attack could have been done at a better time because I was caught in a tail wind section so Tim’s attack didn’t quiet have the impact it really needed, but he got away with a couple strong guys. But the chemistry didn’t seem to work. I tried blocking as best I could as well, but it didn’t seem effective.

Tim was caught and unfortunately was shot out the back. I think we did most things right, but luck was just not on our side and the legs were not there to fill the gaps. I started sitting in a resting for the sprint. I almost forgot how difficult it is to hold a good spot in the pack. But coming into the last corner I was in a pretty good spot for the sprint. If I could have done anything else better it might have been to be on the inside of the corner. As it was I was caught on the outside and couldn’t catch the advancing line on the inside which the ‘blue figure’ used to rocket out of the pack. As the pack came around that last corner a lane opened but I think that was more luck, so I really shouldn’t count on that next time.

With the exciting finish came a healthy dose of ego boosting high fives and good jobs at the finish. Something that my friends should know that I really don’t need, a bigger ego, I’m too cocky as it is. But the opposite was true the day before when I raced Leland-Kermesse (kermesse is Flemish for a bike race/carnival event, you learn something every day, eh?!)  in north central Illinois. It was a 125km race with 45km of gravel over 5 laps. They also were running the P/1/2 and the 3s together. This had no chance of not being crazy hard. I sat in for the first half a lap until the first gravel section when the group split. I ended up in the 1st chase group which was racing for 2nd in the cat 3s. The next 3 laps were full of getting guttered and sitting in as best I could. I was all alone with no teammates at this point, and the teams in the chase were not working together at all so the hope was to break away. On lap 4 I got away with 2 other strong riders in gravel section 1. We worked hard and picked up a few guys from the lead group who had fallen off and built a sizable gap. But I was running on empty. I didn’t start eating until lap 4 and was hitting the wall. Plus on top of that my back was starting to hurt as my whole body was falling apart from the gravel (when I say gravel, I mean small boulder). From there I was caught and shelled rolling in for 8th in the cat 3’s and probably top 20 overall in the p/1/2/3 field.

After the race, the whole groups of guys in the car were blasted tired from the race. We all agreed, all be it lack luster, that Leland was a crazy hard race. Despite not winning, I was glad I went. I learned a lot. The lessons you learn from failure always stick better than the ones you learn from victory. On the plus side I feel as though my form and confidence in the pack is really solid. I was where I needed to be and made good moves. I think it was smart of me to not try to make the first split because riding in a P/1/2 break is probably just out of my reach. But if I had eaten more and started earlier, plus been on the front a little less I think I could have gotten a top 7 spot and picked up some upgrade points.

Overall, it was another solid weekend, racing bikes and living the dream. Next week is the Whitnal park race and a White Water road race. I’ll be racing Saturday, but might take Sunday off to mountain bike in preparation for Iola the weekend after. That’s it for now, see you around!

No comments:

Post a Comment