Monday, November 28, 2011

Jingle Cross Part 1: Just having fun


This past weekend was Jingle Cross Rock. For those of you who don’t follow cycling, Jingle Cross is a big international race held at the Iowa City county fairground every thanksgiving weekend. It’s a pretty big race and from what I’ve seen and heard, it’s a blast!

Dave Eckel, my team director and good friend suggested that I give it a shot, after many other had done the same. So I registered and packed up Wednesday morning for both Thanksgiving with the family and a weekend full of CX racing. I didn’t get done with work until around 8:30 and got home feeling really beat. I grabbed everything and drove home to Milwaukee with my sister and her friend. My sister came to Madison once again to pick me and I can’t even tell her how much that means to me. She is really awesome. But I got home and was about ready to fall asleep. I got the laundry going and fell asleep hanging out with my mom. The next morning I spent with my dad watching the packers making the Lions look silly. It was a really good time and it helped that the packers killed the lions.

After that we headed out to my aunt’s house for dinner. It was a nice little gathering, just my aunt, my uncle and my immediate family. My family is crazy. After talking with roommates about their Thanksgiving, I realize that they are not criminally insane or scary crazy like most families, but crazy still. But that’s a good thing. I love the time I spent with them. It’s never a dull moment and there is truly love in everything we say and do. It’s like hanging out with you best buds for Thanksgiving. Conversation ranged from funny to not so politically correct but still funny throughout dinner, then ended the night watching old concerts on TV while talking about much the same as we did during dinner.

It was an absolutely relaxing night and the exact thing I needed after what turned into a stressful week of exams, homework and then finally a long day at work. But it was all productive and that gave me a good feeling. I was relieved to lay my head down on the pillow after putting the final load of laundry in the washer Thursday night and get some rest.

That’s all for now. Writing this has given me the motivation to do my homework. I had better strike while the iron is hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment