Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Summer is here, part 1: What a start

So I am a few weeks behind on my blog. I was doing so well about updating every week. Oh well, no big deal. Since my last update a lot has happened, it seriously feels like months ago. It has been down, up down and up. In fact so much has happened; I’ll be splitting it up into a few installments.


The week following the first mountain bike race was ok, to be honest I don’t totally remember it, but I rode very little and had busy days at work. Nothing really to report on, but I suppose it set up the weekend perfectly. I didn’t have my head in the game. It was like my brain was sort of switched off, probably my body forcing me to rest up mentally and physically from the busy year at school and Formula. Whatever it was I didn’t feel all there.

Having felt like this all week, one could imagine how weird it was to wake on Saturday before the Heartland crit feeling awesome. I was awake and ready to go. I arrived plenty early and ready to race. My parents and aunt were there to cheer me on so I was glad I felt so good. I was determined to put in a good showing and make them proud. Before the race, Dave our team director talked to us. He gave us a solid pep up speech which got us all ready to go. The plan was to keep it fast enough to be safe and pull back the breaks. All this was to set up a sprint in the end for Kelby. John “mother fuckin” Heile would make the last lap fast, I would lead Kelby out and he would sprint for the win with me taking a high placing as well. Another teammate, John Reynders , did about 5 laps on the front to keep it spicy. And Heile came around with me and Kelby in toe with one to go. The team work was amazing. We held tight and things were looking good. I took turn 3 a bit hotter than I should have and got on the left side of Heile’s wheel. As he began to slow up and let me start the lead out, I lost concentration for a second and crossed wheels. John was ok, but I fell hard on my right shoulder and the bike flipped over me as it was run over by a few riders who also tumbled. All in all I took the worst of the crash, and I was my fault.

I was pretty banged up with road rash to spare and a nice crack in the frame that scared the hell out of me. I was worried that the bike was toast. I got up and walked to the start line. Dave and my dad were disappointed, but supportive and put the crash into good perspective. I felt pretty shitty because I caused a crash on the last lap and feel like I embarrassed the team a little. In hind sight it wasn't as big of a deal I made it out to be in my mind.  I was relieved to find the bike was ok, save the front wheel. A cosmetic crack in the paint along the down tube and a few scrapes along the bars and saddle were all that happened.


I decided right away that I needed to race again the next day, this time off road. I went home and got fixed up, then had a pretty uncomfortable night sleep. I woke up early and made the drive all the way to Rhinelander for the Crystal Lake WORS race. The days forecast was rainy and terrible, with a course that is known to be hard on the body and mind. In hind sight probably not the best idea to race, but then again when is anything I do a good idea. And that’s how it played out; nothing good came of it at all save some sexy pictures. I ended up dropping out and getting a DNF after 24 miles of suffering. That makes 2 DNFs in a weekend, nothing to be proud of for sure. No worries because this is only part one. Part 2 to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment