Sunday, November 7, 2010

Bleeding Lightning from the EYES!!!

This weekend was Iceman, and I didn’t go L. I had been talking to Dalas Fowler, getting a ride and getting a place to stay, but when the time came, homework got the best of me. I could have seen a lot of things getting the way of me racing Iceman, but not homework! But I made what I will say was the right decision for my future? I don’t really know, from looking at the pictures and video on Cyclingdirt.org, I wish I was there. I’ll just have to go next year.
So instead of racing Icaman, I went to Milwaukee’s Estabrook Park, to race WCA cross. The course was really good, very flat, will one downhill, followed by a steep run up with a log in front of it. I was there early, and got a chance to pre-ride the course. I especially enjoyed the death spiral, and the two sets of barriers in quick succession, very challenging.
Me Riding the run up. From looking at pictures, I was one of the few that were doing it
Copyright All rights reserved by djonnymac

To be honest, I didn’t feel great at the start, just don’t have that pop in my legs that I love oh so much during the season when I’m really fast. The plan was to be consistent. To try and stick with the lead group, but ride my own race. Now sticking with the lead group was a tall order with Mark Lalonde leading the group out. It was a small victory in itself to be able to race with those guys, made me realize I’m getting fast, for whatever that is worth.
I was able to stick with them for only a few laps, but rode about 5 laps all alone, with a chase group hot on my heels. The leaders broke up, so I had some carrots out in front of me to chase, but never caught any. I did unfortunately get caught by the chasing group, that had a Velo Trocadero, a My Wife Inc, and Ron Stawicki, all big deals as they were all guys I look to as fast. I was able to hold on to them as they made the catch, and sat on for about 1.5 laps. Coming into the death spiral on the last lap, I was able to keep things tight. The first set of barriers, I could tell they were tired, as was I, but I made some ground, and ron missed his pedals. I knew things were getting sloppy. I attached through the second set of barriers that followed, and found myself and the trocadero guys going away from the other two. I blasted as hard as I could to get some distance, but I couldn’t shake the trocadero guy off. I was in front though, and I knew that I could ride the run up, and he couldn’t. I got about 5 seconds on him at the run up, and gave the last quarter mile everything I had. He was able to catch me for the finish, but our battle blew up Ron and the My Wife inc guy.
Riding the run up, struggling a little more as the race went on. 
Copyright All rights reserved by djonnymac
After the dust had settled, I ended up 10th. I was extremely happy with this, as not only was it a tougher field, but I am not in great shape right now, so seeing that I can still hang in there when I feel slow, mean I might make some waves next year! I haven’t completely shifted my focus to next year yet though. I still have the state championships, followed by the excommunication of my wisdom teeth, should be fun, haha, not. I am getting excited for a break though. I need it. I plan on taking a few weeks off, then starting with some easy spinning either outside, or inside depending on weather. I will have some pictures from this weekend that my mom and friends took, I'll get those asap.

No comments:

Post a Comment